discovery :: hegemony :: prophecy :: conspiracy :: eschatology :: anthropology :: cosmology :: philosophy :: epistemology :: teleology  [?]

Sunday, August 12, 2007

GOD SQUAD

Baseball games get evangelical

Christian groups are holding evangelical extravaganzas after sporting events, and they want to bring the practice to Australia.
Baseball teams use all sort of promotions to lure fans to game. There are bald nights, when men without hair get in for free.
But the major league team in Washington, the Nationals, is using a different and more controversial strategy - a Faith Night.
After a Nationals baseball game, 3,000 people pay $US10 extra to stay behind for an evangelical extravaganza.

Carl Jung recalls his boyhood:

Church gradually became a place of torment to me. For there men dared to preach aloud - I am tempted to say, shamelessly - about God, about his intentions and actions. There people were exhorted to have those feelings, and to believe that secret which I knew to be the deepest, innermost certainty, a certainty not to be betrayed by a single word. I could only conclude that apparently no-one knew about this secret, not even the parson, for otherwise, no-one could have dared to expose the mystery of God in public and to profane those inexpressible feelings with stale sentimentalities.
Moreover, I was certain that this was the wrong way to reach God, for I knew, knew from experience, that this grace was only accorded to one who fulfilled the will of God without reservation. This was preached from the pulpit, too, but always on the assumption that revelation made the will of God plain. To me, on the other hand, it seemed the most obscure and unknown thing of all. To me it seemed that one's duty was to explore daily the will of God. I did not do that, but I felt sure that I would do it as soon as an urgent reason for doing so presented itself. ['Memories, dreams reflections']

No comments: