discovery :: hegemony :: prophecy :: conspiracy :: eschatology :: anthropology :: cosmology :: philosophy :: epistemology :: teleology  [?]

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

COPYRIGHT WRONG

DRM Foils iTunes Movie Rentals for Some Apple TV Owners

When I sat down to watch it, however, the Apple TV wouldn't let me, due to the way I have the device set up. You see, I don't own an HDTV, which is required for the Apple TV.

When I attempted to watch the movie, however, the Apple TV displayed an error message: "This content requires HDCP for playback."
HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) is a form of digital rights management (DRM) that prevents you from playing video over DVI and HDMI connections (in my case) if you don't own compatible hardware that can decode the signal properly.
(In other words, HDCP is more DRM crap that does nothing but irritate legitimate customers.)
 Although I had downloaded the movie legally, my monitor apparently was too old to include HDCP and thus wouldn't display my movie.

No comments: