discovery :: hegemony :: prophecy :: conspiracy :: eschatology :: anthropology :: cosmology :: philosophy :: epistemology :: teleology  [?]

Sunday, December 04, 2005

WATER WARS



Choking on Chemicals in China

Most of the country's air and waterways are hopelessly polluted and the government has done little to address the problem. Instead, officials prefer to lie.

In the northeast Chinese city of Harbin, hundreds of people wait for a water truck. They have been waiting in the bitter cold since early morning -- though the water delivery isn't scheduled until 11 am.
"We are now frugal with water," says a woman in a red woolen cap. "First we use it to clean vegetables, then to wash our hands and finally to flush the toilet."
The emergency came about when 100 tons of toxic chemicals from Chemical Factory 101 floated down the Songhua River afer an explosion 400 kilometers upstream which released highly toxic benzene compounds.

[The slick, slowly traveling down river toward Russia, threatens the drinking water supply for more than 10 million people between the northeast Chinese city of Harbin and Khabarovsk in Siberia.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking abk, I was checking out sources of info on ice fishing shanty and I stumbled across your post about this post that you have a great site here. I'm personally working hard at developing an online business around ice fishing shanty and I'd like to share this site with some of my own subscribers. Thanks for letting me stop by abk...I'll be back.