discovery :: hegemony :: prophecy :: conspiracy :: eschatology :: anthropology :: cosmology :: philosophy :: epistemology :: teleology  [?]

Friday, February 22, 2008

TORTURED STATEMENTS

Stunners on Waterboarding and Guantanamo

Mike McConnell, director of national intelligence:

“I know one thing. I’m a water-safety instructor, but I cannot swim without covering my nose. I don’t know if it’s some deviated septum or mucus membrane, but water just rushes in.” For him, he said, “waterboarding would be excruciating. If I had water draining into my nose, oh God, I just can’t imagine how painful!”

Later, he admited his refusal to broaden his statement past a personal revelation was inspired by fear of legal consequences — the concern that was at the heart of the C.I.A. tape affair.
The debate over the interrogation technique recently intensified when the C.I.A. acknowledged destroying videotapes showing the waterboarding of two Al Qaeda detainees, centers on a very succinct question: is it torture?

No comments: