discovery :: hegemony :: prophecy :: conspiracy :: eschatology :: anthropology :: cosmology :: philosophy :: epistemology :: teleology  [?]

Thursday, October 23, 2003

VIRTUAL LIFE

The decline and fall of literacy ... or just a different sort

A 13-year-old schoolgirl from the UK surprised her teacher when she submitted a short composition about her summer holidayswritten in the sms text language.
The girl wrote: 'My smmr hols wr CWOT. B4, we used 2go2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 : kids FTF. ILNY, it's a gr8 plc.'
Secret agents may have had to spend hours deciphering the message, although it seems to be absolutely readable for any modern teenager.
For the uninitiated the composition translates as: 'My summer holidays were a complete waste of time. Before, we used to go to New York to see my brother, his girlfriend and their three screaming kids face to face. I love New York. It's a great place.'

No comments: